Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ameba World



In keeping with the theme of “distorted view of the world by Juan Santos,” I wanted to transform something beautiful into something ugly. I came across a cool effect that the sun was producing on a rainy day and I shot it to demonstrate that, once captured on tape, film or digital device, nothing is real anymore. Windows are not windows, raindrops are not raindrops and the sun is not beautiful once manipulated. The editing of this piece is minimal, but enough to make my point: nothing on film is real. Without getting too philosophical, my point is that as filmmakers, we create something new from the moment we capture it. Going back to Brakhage’s idea that we take and we give, I want to add that we have the power to manipulate. So, filmmakers have the power to create and manipulate; isn’t that a scary thought?

No comments: